[opensuse] Re: YaST fails to configure Hauppauge 350 PVR card] SOLVED!
  • From: Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:16:42 -0500
Marc Chamberlin <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

Thanks Charles for your help!

No problem.

But mythtv-setup must be run as root and it was the root user which
was not a member of the video group. So setting root to be a member of
the video group fix the problem and mythtv-setup worked fine after
that...

This is strange (I don't know about the packages you are using), but
mythtv-setup in a pristine install of MythTV is not setuid root. Anyway
root have access to all devices on the system without being is any
group. I can access all the /dev/videox just fine without root being in
the video group. There is something weird with the packages you are
using.

For me as a user, the permissions model Linux uses is on the border
of incomprehensibility.

The basic permissions are very simple:

http://rute.2038bug.com/node17.html.gz

What complicate things right now is the new PolicyKit system (just wait
for the dust to settle). It used to be simpler when SiSE was using
resmgr, but every distro is using PolicyKit now.

That said, a far more serious issue that the mythtv developers should
pay heed to, is that this mythtv-setup utility is failing to meet its
primary purpose, by failing to GUIDE a user to a solution that works.

There is no problems running mythtv-setup as any user as long as the
user have permission to use the video device. All it does it to detect
the card and then insert the setup values into the Mysql
database. However, like I said, I have never ran the SuSE version before
(I use the pristine developmental source), so I don't know if they
applied any third party patches.

Anyway MythTV is hard to set up for non-techies because it involves
setting up a SQL server and database. This is why there are quite a
number of MythTV distros to make it simple. Anyway Myth, although it can
be used on a desktop machine,, is really meant to be use on a dedicated
computer connected to a TV and controlled by a remote.

Charles

--
"It's God. No, not Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds, but God."
(By Matt Welsh)