Re: [opensuse] Howto Consolidate/Change which /boot/grub gets booted first?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 00:28:30 -0600
Markus Koßmann wrote:
Am Samstag, 10. Januar 2009 schrieb David C. Rankin:
Listmates,

I have an 11.0 server with RAID1 that I added a spare 500G drive to in
order to load 11.1 on the new drive. The 11.1 install created a new
/boot/grub/menu.lst and attempted to add an entry to boot the 11.0 install.
Now grub boots the 11.1 install (on sdc1) and then if selected will boot
11.0 on dm-2 (sda5 + sdb5). I now want to remove sdc from the system
leaving the original 11.0 install. How do I tell grub to boot the 11.0
install first instead of booting from sdc so that when I remove the drive
I'm not left unable to boot?

Boot into 11.0, check /etc/grub.conf where it installs grub and
/boot/grub/menu if it includes all entries, you want to have. Then run "grub-
install" as root . That should reinstall the 11.0 version of grub.

Ok,

That seems simple enough. Wouldn't I have to use?:

grub-install md-2

to tell grub-install which device I want it to install the boot loader
on?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC