[opensuse] Howto Consolidate/Change which /boot/grub gets booted first?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 21:50:50 -0600
Listmates,

I have an 11.0 server with RAID1 that I added a spare 500G drive to in
order
to load 11.1 on the new drive. The 11.1 install created a new
/boot/grub/menu.lst and attempted to add an entry to boot the 11.0 install. Now
grub boots the 11.1 install (on sdc1) and then if selected will boot 11.0 on
dm-2 (sda5 + sdb5). I now want to remove sdc from the system leaving the
original 11.0 install. How do I tell grub to boot the 11.0 install first
instead of booting from sdc so that when I remove the drive I'm not left unable
to boot?

Even if I wasn't removing sdc, I would still like to know how to make
grub
boot from my original /boot instead of the last installed /boot. Can somebody
point me in the right direction to get this fixed? Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC