Re: [opensuse] How to mount external drives automatically?
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 20:50:46 -0600
On Friday 09 January 2009 08:01:34 pm Anton Aylward wrote:
Rajko M. said the following on 01/09/2009 08:48 PM:
On Friday 09 January 2009 03:06:49 pm Josef Wolf wrote:
Hello,

In opensuse-11.0, external usb drives were mounted automatically
on /media/label-of-filesystem when they were plugged in. In 11.1
only a window pops up showing the "last attached devices".

I would like specific drives (that is, filesystems with labels that
match an expression like /^backup-\d+$/) to be mounted automatically
whenever they are attached. Any hints how to configure this?

It looks like KDE4 specific.
When you open entry in Dolphin it will be mounted ie. it will be in
/media directory.

We've had this question before.
Opening the entry with Dolphin (perhaps through the device notifier) is
every bit as lame as running "mount" from a command line.

I can almost agree, because it is easier then command line, and some people
don't want everything plugged in to run instantly, so to satisfy everybody it
should be configurable.

Some applications need to work without that explicit manual
intervention. Or at least the mount should be automatic when they are
attached.

I can think of the underlying event manager - udev? - recognising the
label and triggering a backup as one very practical example.

That is actually answer to the second question that I missed, for no reason.
Josef, look in /etc/udev/rules.d/ .
There is number of files, you can add one that will handle your USB drives.
I usually use existing files as example.

Can we PLEASE have a response to this question as asked. Its been asked
before and got the lame "open it with Dolphin" response before.

First question: first answer :-)

PLEASE! Even if the reply is only "give up on 11.1 and go back to 11.0
or 10.3".

That is not reply :-)

--
Regards, Rajko