Re: [opensuse] Re: Info : VirtualBox Tutorial
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 10:10:28 -0600
jdd wrote:
Masim "Vavai" Sugianto a écrit :
I'm writing VirtualBox installation tutorial for a reference.

http://vavai.net/2009/01/09/tutorial-virtualbox-on-opensuse-111-part-1/

I know there were too many article about VirtualBox installation how
to. It's also describe on wiki but I keep writing as my reference and
writing is my hobby :-)

notice two tricks:

* you may have situations where virtualbox don't start anymore. May be
the /tmp/.vbox* files are root propertie and you have to remove these
files (or change the owner) to be able to start (often come when you
tryed to start virtualbox as root)

* do *not* include your usb mouse or usb external drive in the
virtualbox (non ose) usb list, this makes the hole system unstable

jdd

Thanks jdd,

That triggers my memory where I have other vbox notes stashed:

Configuring kernel modules for an upgraded kernel

If you are using the ATI driver package: At the Grub menu, enter '3' on
the
command line to cause the system to boot info runlevel 3. Once in runlevel 3,
just enter the following as root to rebuild the ATI kernel module "fglrx.ko"
and the VirtualBox kernel modulte "vboxdrv.ko". Then you can either manually
installed the kernel modules with modprobe or simply reboot.

FGLRX

sh /usr/bin/fglrx-kernel-build.sh

VirtualBox

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup