Re: [opensuse] Strange "PermissionDeniedByPolicy" Problem with 11.1
  • From: Rainer Krienke <krienke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:14:47 +0100
Am Donnerstag, 8. Januar 2009 09:01:06 schrieb Josef Reidinger:
Rainer Krienke wrote:
Hello,

I recently installed a new 11.1 system using autoyast which basically
worked fine. However working with KDE i noticed a strange problem when
trying to supend the machine to disk.

Eg if I type (not beeing root) suspend -U in a KDE-terminal window I get
the message:

Error org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy:
org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate no <-- (action, result)

Hello,

in between I found the problem, which was caused by wrong ownership of
directories like /var/cache/hald and similar. The belonged eg to a user called
icecream (id 106).

This wrong ownership again was caused by double entries in /etc/passwd with
different usenames but identical uids. The user haldaemon also had uid 106.

And finally these double uids were caused by my autoyast file that contained
some group entries from the time the autoyast file had been created by cloning
a running system which contained already a user with uid 106.

Removing all group entries from the autoyast file fixed the whole problem.

Thanks for yout help

Rainer
--
Rainer Krienke, Uni Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, A22, Universitaetsstrasse 1
56070 Koblenz, http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke, Tel: +49261287 1312

< Previous Next >