Re: [opensuse] What's wrong with this IP address?
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 18:44:38 -0500
Greg Freemyer wrote:
Class D is used for Multi-cast and thus does not support TCP. UDP is
fine. Not real common, but say you have a decent size LAN and you
want to "broadcast" something across it, you can designate one of the
Class D's for that.

I looked into doing NTP style broadcasts that way a few years ago.
The issue is that every switch / router in the lan/wan you need to
forward the multi-cast packets through has to be configured to do so.

I think some brokerage firms broadcast out various news shows to the
traders desktops via IP broadcast mechanisms. I assume they use Class
D packets to carry the UDP packets. (ie. If a trader wants to see
what Fox News is showing, they have a video app on their desktop that
can tune into the multi-cast packets and show it to them.

Class E I know of no use for, but I would not rule it out.

I have also seen Class D used with a VoIP PBX.

My understanding of Class E is that it's "experimental".