[opensuse] openSuSE Server Setup page finally Reformatted - Need Feedback
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 13:20:34 -0600
Listmates,

I have finally got my openSuSE server setup page formatted for the web
instead
of being squirreled away as a text file. If you have a moment, please look it
over and give me the good, the bad and the ugly along with any tips or
additions you have for making it better or content you would like to see me add.

This is my first cut at the reformatting and I will split the sections
up in
the future, but I left it as one whole page to make it easier to print, save,
etc... The original text file is still available for download. However, I don't
have the resources to maintain both, so the web page will be what gets updated
as I go forward.

Recall, this originally started out as just my notes on server setup so
don't claim that it is an all inclusive wonder document. It is just my
reference for putting a server back together in case of disaster. I still have
more content to add, but this is the old text file formatted for easier reading
and access. The primary table of contents is:

Preliminary Post Install Cleanup
BIND 9 DNS (primary & backup)
dhcpd (with dynamic updates to DNS)
MySQL - Securing Your Server
Samba (stand-alone server, pdf-gen script included)
ntp - Network Time Protocol
Postfix & Dovecot
Apache2 Web Server with SSL (some content still text)
VPN - Virtual Private Network

It also includes sections on spamassassin, and setting up my web apps
squirrelmail and eGroupWare. If you haven't seen eGroupWare 1.6, I highly
recommend you take a look. That groupware app will absolutely blow you away.
Ralf Becker has done a fantastic job with development and version 1.6 (released
12/08) is a thing of beauty.

The direct url to my server setup page is:

http://www.3111skyline.com/linux/openSuSE-server.php

It is also under the menu item of "openSuSE Howtos -> openSuSE server
setup".
Thanks for any feedback you can provide. Also feel free to copy/download/hack
it up for your own use as you like. Just send me any feedback you think will
make the page better. Remember, I am not a web development guy, so some of my
formatting and layout may be rather clunky for lack of better words.

I used quanta for page development and I have t give kudos to the kde
guys
that have contributed to quanta. I haven't found anything better for web
creation. Think of it as kate tailored for web development. It is awesome.

That's it, thanks for any help you can give.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC