Re: [opensuse] Getting KDE 3.5 With openSUSE 11.1?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 11:00:18 -0600
Randall R Schulz wrote:
Hi,

I've now completed two from-scratch installations of openSUSE 11.1, each
time requesting KDE 3.5 and yet both times I end up with Gnome. The
first time I did extensive package customization. The second time I
just selected the "patterns" I wanted, which included almost all of
them (and all the programming ones except Java).

This is extremely frustrating, given that it takes over an hour each
time just to get to the point where I'm presented with the dreaded
Gnome desktop.

What am I doing wrong?

Nothing,

I did the same and got kde4, Larry got TinyWM as he said. Who was it
that once
said "Life is like a box of chocolates...?"

The 11.1 desktop installer -- and function -- is suspect to put it
mildly. I
would really like to hear your feedback of working with 3.5 on 11.1. With
nvidia, I managed OK, with the current broken ATI driver, my laptop install was
a horror story.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC