Re: [opensuse] deleted my /home directory
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 16:42:58 +0100

I just installed an 11.1 and was surprised it wanted to delete my /home
partition, make a new extended partition there and install 11.1 in that.
I also have two swap partitions and two Linux partitions. It offered to
leave those alone. So I am guessing it looked for a partition that was
not swap or did not already have a linux installed, and offered to put
it there. My intention was to overwrite one of the linux installs
(Caldera 2.4!). Anyway, if I had not been careful, I would have lost
my /home as well.

This sort of thing has never happened before. I did my own setup instead
of that offered and that worked fine. So it is not a matter of the
install not doing what it said it would do to the partitions. It is that
the default suggestion is bad.

IIRC, didn't earlier installs require an empty partition into which they
could be installed? So you first had to make free space on the disk.
They would never default to replacing an existing partition.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

--

"On two occasions I have been asked (by members of Parliament!),
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures,

And remember:

It is like talking about a large city with all construction finished.
Not impossible, but very unlikely.