Re: [opensuse] Strange "PermissionDeniedByPolicy" Problem with 11.1
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 11:01:22 +0100
On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 10:44:31AM +0100, Rainer Krienke wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 8. Januar 2009 09:01:06 schrieb Josef Reidinger:
Rainer Krienke wrote:
Hello,

I recently installed a new 11.1 system using autoyast which basically
worked fine. However working with KDE i noticed a strange problem when
trying to supend the machine to disk.

Eg if I type (not beeing root) suspend -U in a KDE-terminal window I get
the message:

Error org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy:
org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate no <-- (action, result)
This looks for me like dbus permission problem. You can see
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf if you have permission to action which is
shown in error message.
JR

Thanks for the answer. I took a look at this file and the versions of
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf on a 11.1 system with the problem and another
system that works just fine are identically. I wouls also expect to find the
action in this file that is returned as permission denied:
org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate
But this action is not contained in this file.

I found out that on the system where everything is fine the command
polkit-auth lists a lot of actios one of them is
org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate.
On the system where it does not work a call to polkit-auth does not return a
single line.

The problem is I do not yet see the difference betwenn the two system. Any
idea where these policies could be defined if not in
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf ?

The permission is denied by PolicyKit, not by the dbus-1 access layer.

/usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/ is the place to look at,
and you can modify it per user if you want.

Ciao, Marcus