Re: [opensuse] deleted my /home directory
  • From: "John R. Sowden" <jsowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 18:01:47 -0800
On Wednesday January 07 2009 11:09:24 Nkoli wrote:
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 7:10 AM, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
John R. Sowden wrote:
On my last upgrade from 10.3 to 11.0, Suse installed the 10.3 root
directory into my home directory, which I never noticed because I don't
go there, until a few days ago when I decided to upgrade from 11.0 to
11.1. As I was deleting these directories, I accidently deleted my home
directory. I don't keep much there, but linux and its apps do. Is
there a recovery.

I've used photorec for recovering files before, but the file system
wasn't ext3. If you were using ext3, you may find this site
informative: http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlo17/howto/undelete_ext3.html.

Yep. Just recover them from your back ups.

LOL I don't think he'd be asking if he had backups.

No one is addressing the issue of the fact that I cannot connect a usb
stick drive in the live mode. Is this the case, or am I trying to do
something that has not been done? The reason that I am using the live
mode is because linux will not boot with the home directory missing.

Several responses already addressed the usb stick - check fdisk -l and
dmesg to see if the drive is detected. The OS just needs /root, /boot,
/etc, /proc and a couple others to boot - /home is only necessary to
actually load your user's desktop. You can still log in as root and do
whatever you need to do. Iirc a home directory is automatically
created if one isn't available... as long as your /etc/fstab isn't
pointing to the non-existent /home.

Nkoli

Just to let all know, in case this happens to another:

First of all, I do not back up my home directory because I don't put anything
there, except downloads, that I transfer to cd, etc. But Linux does put
things there, in hidden directories. That was my problem re accessing the
system.

Then I had an epiffany: Set up another user. I did that, then I was able to
log in as normal, with one caveat: all of my data files that were accessable
under the old name, were read only to the new name. I then used chown to
change the owner to the new name. Now Linux is running normally and my
files are accessale.

Thanks to all for the ideas. I am now going back to exercise the suggestions
so I learn more about Linux!

John