Re: [opensuse] Default install creates /etc/.pwd.lock in 11.1
  • From: auxsvr@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 01:17:26 +0200
On Thursday 08 January 2009, Josef Wolf wrote:
On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 11:46:59AM +0100, Josef Wolf wrote:
I have noticed huge delays in many operations (e.g. "ls -l"). After
some investigation it turned out that the delays are caused by nscd
when user/group name lookup is done. Even worse: it is not possible
to change passwords or modify user accounts.

What's up? nobody cares?

I have /etc/.pwd.lock here dating back to 2006, so I don't think it's related
to the problem. On the other hand, nscd is very buggy and crashes at least
once a day here. This looks like a problem with name resolution to me, check
/etc/hosts for the localhost entry. In order to investigate this further, try
"strace ls" in an empty directory and check where it spends most time.

Regards