Re: [opensuse] Finding a modem (more)
  • From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 12:33:09 -0800 (PST)
----- Original Message ----

From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Per Jessen
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 12:41:18 PM
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Finding a modem

Per Jessen wrote:

Simon Roberts wrote:

Did you try altering the baudrate?
/Per Jessen, Zürich

Yeah, tried the "obvious" ones, wanted to avoid trying all the
permutations of this stuff since there are too many!

Just try varying the baudrates, all the way from 300 and up. Never
mind bits and parity. (the default is almost always 8bit and no
parity anyway).

Uh, I should also have asked - is it an ISA or a PCI card? For the
former, you may well need jumpering, special config utility or isapnp.

It is a PCI, albeit an old one. I've dug out another from my scrap heap and
am
currently trying that.... fingers crossed!

OK, I disabled the onboard serial using the BIOS setup. Now none of the serial
ports report settings from stty. Now /dev/ttyS[0123] _all_ report Input/Output
error, so that's clearly not a report indicating that a half-cocked device has
been found. I guess that's a step forward.

Meanwhile, hwinfo reports a product: '56K WinModem' or 'LT WinModem 56K Data +
FAX' -- Is that one of those dreadful things that isn't really a device, and
has to have proprietary drivers to work? Do I need to install a kernel module
to drive it? Or should it go in the trash?

Thanks again,
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a
man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz