Re: [opensuse] Finding a modem
  • From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 12:16:13 -0800 (PST)
----- Original Message ----

Per Jessen wrote:
Just try varying the baudrates, all the way from 300 and up. Never
mind bits and parity. (the default is almost always 8bit and no
parity anyway).

Uh, I should also have asked - is it an ISA or a PCI card? For the
former, you may well need jumpering, special config utility or isapnp.

It is a PCI, albeit an old one. I've dug out another from my scrap heap and
am
currently trying that.... fingers crossed!

Well, that doesn't seem to be working either. So, I conclude it's not the
hardware, but is in fact a software/config problem (most likely)

Looking closer, I notice that the motherboard seems to have serial hardware of
its own. Presumably that would account for ttyS0 and ttyS1, making this modem
card ttyS2 or S3?

If I look at the devices in the /dev/directory, I find that there are 8
/dev/ttyS* devices listed. If I run:

stty -a < /dev/ttyS?

on each of them in turn, the ones at S0 and S1 report full info, the ones at S2
and S3 report Input/Output error, and the ones at S4 upwards report No such
device or address.

Hmm, can't help thinking this is telling me something?

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a
man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz