Re: [opensuse] How do I turn off the modem
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 06:22:51 -0800
On Tuesday 06 January 2009 06:22, Anton Aylward wrote:
Carlos E. R. said the following on 01/05/2009 10:51 PM:
On Monday, 2009-01-05 at 19:35 -0500, Anton Aylward wrote:
I have /usr/sbin/modem-manager started from somewhere.
I know not where and I know not why.
I don't want it not be - I have no use for this damn winmodem
anyway. When I kill it, it restarts.

Maybe "ps afx | less" can show who is the parent.

BTDT - first thing I thought of.
Its PID is "1"

Any process whose parent is I (init) was either started directly by
init, was the result of a (or a chain of) exec call(s) by a process
started by init or one whose actual (non-init) parent exited before its
child (init inherits all processes when their parent process dies).

(That's slightly inaccurate in that a process is created in exactly one
way: the fork(2) system call. Any process may exec(2) another program
and that program may do the same, and on and on, indefinitely. Such a
chain of programs each in turn execute in the same process.)

Randall Schulz