Re: [opensuse] question about zypper dup
  • From: "Amedee Van Gasse" <amedee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 09:13:44 +0100 (CET)
On Wed, January 7, 2009 02:32, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
Amedee Van Gasse escribió:

I have a question about zypper. I find that it works very similar to
apt-get/aptitude in Debian/Ubuntu or emerge in Gentoo,

Similar if a pear can be compared to apples.. yes :-D

Malus (apple) is a genus in the subfamily Maloideae (a subfamily of
Rosaceae), and so is Pyrus (pear). In both cases the "fruit" grows out of
the receptacle of the calyx tube. Cultivation is quite similar. Some pear
and apple species are so similar in shape and color of the fruit that you
can only tell them apart by the tissue of the fruit: pears have clusters
of hard cells.

So... yes. :-D

Why does zypper work that way, in contrast to emerge and aptitude?

It is a very well known "feature", a design decision that has drawbacks
and advantanges.

For values of "very well known", of course. :)

Also what happens when one package depends on another but one of them
fails to download when the other is already installed? It looks like I
can skip a package when it fails to download, but perhaps I don't want
that, perhaps I want it to abort the entire installation or update?

http://lizards.opensuse.org/2008/10/30/how-survive-zypper-dup-on-system-with-bad-internet-connection/

OK, tnx!