Re: [opensuse] Installing 11.1 to Unused Partition From Running System?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 17:25:29 -0800

Get a VM running based on that empty partition. (Don't use a
paravirtualized VM.)

Ha! I should have thought of that. Why not paravirtualized? Which
is VMware?

I'm pretty sure VMware is NOT paravirtualized.

That's what I thought.

But now that I think about it, paravirtualized might work too.

The issue is drivers for your hardware.

Xen is paravirtualized, so if the SUSE Xen kernel knows that it is
only going to run in a Paravirtualized VM, then it might only have
the Paravirtualized VM drivers available to it and not do hardware
autodetect. Thus when you reboot, you would not have any real
hardware drivers to work with. :(

I tend to scrutinize my installations in great detail, so I'm unlikely
to allow a Xen kernel to get installed inadvertently. And since I've
never used Xen (directly—we used it from afar at Amazon) and would do
this with VMware Workstation, I don't think this pitfall will arise.
Nonetheless, I'll be circumspect.

I don't know anything beyond that, so I guess I'm just saying to be
leery of using an install that would use the Xen kernel because it
may or may not have real hardware drivers in it.

OK. Thanks. I'm going to seriously consider this. Running SuSE Linux
10.0 as my primary system is getting less and less tenable, but I'm so
loathe to tip over the apple cart that is this crusty system with a new
install, I want to do it as incrementally and non-irreversibly as
possible.

Thanks again for the idea of installing under a virtual machine.

Greg

Randall Schulz