[opensuse] question about zypper dup
  • From: Amedee Van Gasse <amedee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 01:20:33 +0100
Hello,

I'm still quite new to OpenSuse. I'm using it on the desktop for a few
months now. Before I used Ubuntu for 3 years, before that 2 years of
Gentoo, and before that several incarnations of Mandrake. On a hosted
server I'm using Debian.

I have a question about zypper. I find that it works very similar to
apt-get/aptitude in Debian/Ubuntu or emerge in Gentoo, so it wasn't very
hard for me to get used to it. But I currently have a question. It's not
really a problem, I only want to know how it works and why.

In Gentoo, when you do an 'emerge --upgrade --deep world', it updates
your system. Same thing happens in Debian&Ubuntu when you do 'aptitude
dist-upgrade'. And in OpenSuse it's 'zypper dup'.

In Gentoo and Debian, the package managers first get all the packages
and only when they have them, they start to install. in OpenSuse the
package manager downloads one package, installs, then downloads the
next, installs, etc.

Why does zypper work that way, in contrast to emerge and aptitude?
One of the things I liked about emerge and aptitude was that I could
tell them to fetch all new packages, but not install them. I could put
that in cron so it would fetch in off-peak hours. The packages would be
saved to a local cache.
I wouldn't know how to do that in OpenSuse.

Also what happens when one package depends on another but one of them
fails to download when the other is already installed? It looks like I
can skip a package when it fails to download, but perhaps I don't want
that, perhaps I want it to abort the entire installation or update?

Your reactions, please.
TIA,
Amedee