Re: [opensuse] Installing 11.1 to Unused Partition From Running System?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 14:37:27 -0800
On Tuesday 06 January 2009 14:15, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if it's feasible (if at all possible) to perform an
openSUSE 11.1 installation to an unused partition on my existing
10.0 system while it (the 10.0 system) is running?

I've never tried, but if you're willing to experiment:

Get a VM running based on that empty partition. (Don't use a
paravirtualized VM.)

Ha! I should have thought of that. Why not paravirtualized? Which is
VMware?

Boot the install DVD in that VM. Install.

Edit your /etc/fstab in the VM to be correct for a native boot, if
you want to use the same /home directory and swap partition, fix
those up as well.

I usually choose to mount volumes by label, thought I'm thinking of
switching to by-ID.

Edit the grub menu on your 10.0 system to have an entry for the new
partition.

Reboot.

Good Luck
Greg