[opensuse] New partition killed MBR?
  • From: "L. V. Lammert" <lvl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 10:33:09 -0600
I built an 11.1 system a few weeks ago, .. originally installing 11.1 into physical partition 1, using it as an extended partition of 50GB [the system will eventually be multi-boot].

Yesterday I created physical partition 2 & 3 [both ext3], but that has killed the boot record! The partition table shows [with a System Rescue CD] all three partitions correctly, .. and /dev/sda1 is still flagged bootable.

Does 11.1 have a problem with a disk configuration like this? Why would creating a new partition kill the MBR? I tried booting 'Repair Installation' on the 11.1 CD, and gave up loading an Install Kernel with six parts - I stopped it after 10 minutes only got to part 2.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, ..

Lee