Re: [opensuse] Opensuse 11.1 for server ?
  • From: Moby <moby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 09:56:02 -0600

Arie Reynaldi Z wrote:
Ok, I've read so many 'so-called' complains about opensuse 11.1 for
desktop, like burning dvd, problem dialing, and so on.. What I want to
know, what about for server usage ? I use some applications like bind,
apache, mysql, firewall, etc that already installed in my servers, and
some of the use RAID 1 (mirrored), etx3 (i saw that xfs is better
now?). I use usb modem cause we have sms application installed.
I almost never use X, except for file server that also has printer
server, so I can manage print jobs using kprinter or 'printer manager'
under gnome. But mostly only has console mode (thanks to yast that can
play in console mode).

I will install from new, not upgrade. So, is opensuse 11.1 ready for
server, or I just have to stick with 10.3 / 11.0 ?

regards,
I have been using oss in a server-role for a number of years (back before it was renamed to oss). Some of my servers are at oss 11.1 now and providing the following services:

1) firewall with multiple public NICs configured in a redundant fashion.
2) File/Print server integrated with Windows AD domains.
3) LAMP + ASP.NET via mono.
4) Email via sendmail/cyrus and various web based email interfaces (twig and horde)
5) Enterprise wide backups via bacula.

I have the above working fine on oss 11.1 - at the moment you should be fine provided (strictly from my experience based on issues I am working on):
1) Do not use Reiserfs
2) Do not customize or otherwise install a custom kernel.

--
--Moby

deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin