Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.1 x86_64 on a 512MB RAM system
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 16:25:30 +0100
Rui Santos wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:

Rui said he forced the situation (fsck being oom killed) by only
leaving 90Mb of free memory - I'm not sure what the purpose of that
was.

The purpose was that a few applications were crashing randomly, and
fsck was one of them. Since I thought 90 MB was far more than enough
to complete the operation, it was what I did...

Okay, I understand.

Remember that the fsck is on a vfat file system. If you want to
reproduce it, build a 250GB vfat file system with 35000 files with
850MB and try it. As I also stated in other email of this thread, I
have a openSUSE 11.0 x86_64 with 256MB of RAM that does not crash (
mainly for rsyncd ).I was just trying to identify a BUG that, it
isn't.

Sorry, I missed that. Well, it sounds like a filesystem problem to me -
it's interesting that there would be such an enormous difference in
fsck though. I wouldn't expect many developments in vfat, are the two
fsck versions the same?

/Per

--
/Per Jessen, Zürich