Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.1 x86_64 on a 512MB RAM system
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 16:21:22 +0100
Rui Santos wrote:

Hi all,

I've stumbled on a problem, on a test machine, using openSUSE 11.1
x86_64 system with 512MB of RAM. This test was just to confirm a
friends claim that he was unable to get a working server with that
kind of hardware.

I can run 11.1 with KDE on a 512Mb laptop without swap. Idling it uses
about 330M RAM. A 64bit system would use roughly twice that, which
obviously wouldn't work without swap.

I think your fsck memory issue is filesystem-specific, but vfat isn't
exactly the most popular linux filesystem, so a bugreport might not get
a lot of attention.

Second - what's the real purpose of trying to run 64bit openSUSE 11.1 on
a tiny server with only 512M RAM? With that amount of RAM, I would not
bother with 64bit openSUSE - any performance gains will be negligible
if even measurable. Just run the 32bit version instead, and your
server will be fine.

/Per

--
/Per Jessen, Zürich