Re: [opensuse] How do I turn off the modem
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 09:22:35 -0500
Carlos E. R. said the following on 01/05/2009 10:51 PM:

On Monday, 2009-01-05 at 19:35 -0500, Anton Aylward wrote:

I have /usr/sbin/modem-manager started from somewhere.
I know not where and I know not why.
I don't want it not be - I have no use for this damn winmodem anyway.
When I kill it, it restarts.

Maybe "ps afx | less" can show who is the parent.

BTDT - first thing I thought of.
Its PID is "1"

How can I stop this?

At worst, you might remove its rpm.

Sort of like pulling at the tread on the jumper, what else gets unravelled?

Removing that leads to the deinstallation of NetworkManager and
NetworkManager-KDE. No doubt that will lead to other operational problems!

Any suggestions has to how I can make YAST actually delete the entry?
How about manually deleting some file from the command line?

--
"Quality is not a sprint; it is a long-distance event." Daniel Hunt.