Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.1 x86_64 on a 512MB RAM system
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 15:18:01 +0100 (CET)

On Tuesday, 2009-01-06 at 13:47 -0000, Rui Santos wrote:

So... you're saying that the problem may be that some programs may be
more memory hungry than others, witch can have worst results on a 64
bits OS.

Right.

So this mau be a general Linux issue, and not openSUSE specific.

A general computing problem. A 64 bit os will use more memory than a 32 bit one. And Linux has always been memory hungry, unless tuned to the contrary.

Man, It never crossed my mind I would need 512MB of RAM to perform a
file system check on a 850MB worth of files on a 100GB vfat file system.
Gee, this is really, really scary...

Yep, I don't know why, but it is so, at least on linux.

Thanks for your reply Carlos,

Welcome!

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.