Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.1 x86_64 on a 512MB RAM system
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajohansson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 13:23:20 +0100
On Tuesday 06 January 2009 12:16:52 Rui Santos wrote:
If you check the final two mmap's, fsck maps 80MB of memory just to
check a simple vfat filesystem. What is this ?! 80 MB. I used to run a
full system on this, including fsck's.
As I stated, this is just an example. Numerous other programs take a
lot of memory making a system with 512MB of RAM almost unusable. Even so
with a 1GB of RAM ooo-kill is sometimes called to free up RAM.

A 64 bit OS will use more memory than a 32 bit OS, it's a fact of life.

Having said that, some fscks are better than others. ext2/3 for example is
notoriously bad, and with very large file systems it can run out of memory
even if you have 16GB or more in the system (it's one of the things said to be
fixed in ext4)

I don't use vfat much, so I don't know how it behaves, but it seems to have
similar problems. Other file systems, such as reiserfs and xfs, have fsck
programs that handle memory better

As for when the OO killer is called, it all depends on what you are running on
the system. If you don't have swap enabled, the system can't hide away unused
RAM, so everything is forced to always be present. That is obviously a
drawback on memory starved systems.

Anders