Re: [opensuse] suspend to disk and size of swap partition
  • From: Malte Gell <malte.gell@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:26:50 +0100
On Monday, 2009-01-05 at 16:21 +0100, Malte Gell wrote:
Hi there,
in order to use suspend to disk one has to set a swap partition with the
"resume=" option in the bootloader. Okay. But, if I have e.g. 2 GB of RAM
I should have 2 GB swap space for suspend to disk.

In the past, no. It would even refuse to suspend if you had two swaps
defined. now I have two, and it works, but I don't know if it uses one for
hibernation or both; I guess it ignores the second for the image, but it
uses both for frozen apps.

You can set up both, and set "resume" to one of them, and try. I believe
it will refuse to go ahead if there is insuficient space.

This is exactly what I did, set up all swap partitions (actually 3, each 1 GB)
and specified only 1 with resume= So far it works fine, hibernated correctly
and
woke up correctly. I hope hibernation will detect and complain automatically
if there's not enough swap space...

Malte