Re: [opensuse] OpenSUSE 11.1 on PS3
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajohansson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:24:48 +0100
On Tuesday 06 January 2009 04:24:21 Jonathan Ervine wrote:
I think it supports WMV, DivX, and possibly other video codecs, but the
range is very limited.

Unfortunately, neither xvid nor divx is one single codec, there are several
different variations you can set when encoding, and the PS3 can only handle a
subset of those variations. So just because a file is divx or xvid, you still
can't be sure it will play.

I still don't know exactly what it can handle, I just know I had to do some
extensive fiddling with the enoding parameters before I managed to get it to
play.

Its "native" format is MP4, I think. I haven't tried too much with that though

Would tend to agree with this. Having installed Linux on my PS3 I was, to
say the least, underwhelmed. The PS3 doesn't have a massive amount of
memory available, and has limited the accessibility to the hardware
(graphics in particular). Would make for a nice server I guess.

For CPU bound activities, it is a very nice machine

Anders