Re: [opensuse] OT: Is the problem the Motherboard or the RAM
  • From: Mike Coan <mikecoan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 16:06:11 -0500
Andrew and all others who replied,

[deleted stuff]

Problem:
I insert all 4 sticks of memory. CPU fan and all case fans spin as do
hard drives. No Post.

I remove 2 sticks, leaving DIMM!1and DIMM2 occupied. All fans and drives
spin no post. I put 2 sticks in DIMM3 and DIMM4. all fans and drive
spin, no post.

I put one stick in DIMM1 and one stick in DIMM3 so that it runs in single
channel mode. Computer boots fine. Thus it posts and boots with 4GB in
single channel mode, but not in dual channel mode.

On the AMD 939 and AM2 architecture the memory controller is on the
CPU. THat is why e.g. any 939 CPU will always use DDR RAM and an AM2
CPU will always use DDR-II RAM.

I actually had the exact problem you describe. I tested with some
random RAM I had sitting around (256MB pulls from Dell or HP systems)
and the results where the same... It HAS to be the mainboard I figured
and ordered a replacement... no go.

Turns out the problem was the CPU, caused by poor regards for ESD. As
soon as the CPU replaced, it would boot on the original mainboard
without a problem.

This was on a Gigabyte 780G chipset board. I believe Gigabyte support
also suggested to check the CPU.... so if you have a spare AM2 socket
CPU sitting around or even in another system, try swapping that.

Since my desktop is an AM2 motherboard, also by Asrock, I took out the Athlon
64 dual core cpu and put it in the new motherboard. I put in 2 sticks of the
OCZ dual channel memory and it posts fine, so I put in all 4 sticks of the OCZ
ddr2 1066 ram. It posts fine and is running memtest as we speak. No errors
so far. That makes it look like the memory controller on the quad core phenom
is bad.

Not so fast. I put the quad core phenom cpu in my desktop machine, which
previously had the Athlon 64 dual core cpu. The motherboard is the Asrock
AliveNF7G-HD720p and supports the quad core phenom with the latest bios. My
desktop has 4GB of A-Data dual channel memory ddr2 800. With the new AMD
Phenom quad core cpu it boots fine with dual channel memory and is what I am
using to type this email.

Hard to say the AMD Phenom CPU is defective when it is running perfectly in my
desktop machine. Perhaps the new motherboard is slightly defective. It runs
the Athlon 64 X2 in dual channel mode with 8GB RAM, but won't run the Phenom
in dual channel mode, just single channel mode.

Does it sound like the motherboard now?

Mike

--
Michael A. Coan