Re: [opensuse] More Samba Help
  • From: Bogdan Cristea <cristeab@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 20:33:25 +0200
On Monday 05 January 2009 21:26:17 Donald D Henson wrote:
(Linux Earth-svr 2.6.27.7-9-pae #1 SMP 2008-12-04 18:10:04 +0100 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux)
(SAMBA 3.2.4-5.2)
(MS Windows xp home/pro)
My SOHO system consists of two Linux workstations, each with some
network functions, a Windows XP pro laptop, and a Windows XP Home
notebook. All are connected via a local net using cat 5 cable or wifi. I
have a ton of tech data on Samba, from how to get it to how to
administer a large network using Samba. (I think my problem is too much
data.) All I want is to publish a folder on any of the machines that
can be opened by any other machine. Can anyone give me a simple
step-by-step procedure for doing that? Any help appreciated.

When I need to share folders for everyone, I prefer to share a folder, from
Samba server in yast, so that is accessible only by guests (the option should
be "guest only = yes") and the symbolic links are followed ("Follow symbolic
links = yes"). Then I create in this folder symbolic links to folders I want
to share.

--
Bogdan Cristea