Re: [opensuse] OpenSUSE 11.1 on PS3
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:08:00 +0100
On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 11:47 +0100, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Monday 05 January 2009 11:36:43 Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
So, I think the PS3 is not
showing any content it thinks is copyrighted. Even if is is fully legal.

No, I don't think this is true. In my experience however, the PS3 is
incredibly picky when it comes to codecs. It can only handle a very limited
subset. It has caused me no end of headaches for my movie library (I have
ripped my DVDs to avis for easier access)

Very possible. Part of the frustration is that it does not tell why it
does not show something. It simply ignores it. It could be something as
innocent as a space or a dash in a file name. Who knows?

Thus my interest in openSUSE as an alternative.

I think it will be difficult. SUSE in general runs well, and for music you
should be fine, but for movies, linux won't get full access to the graphics
hardware, so there will be performance issues. I don't think you can
comfortably watch movies there.

In fact my first preference is in using the PS3 to do this. I am really
only looking for an alternative as it seems to be less than cooperative.

I have heard rumours that a way has been found of gaining access to the gfx
from linux, but I don't know the details.

I would have thought that the ps3fb driver for X would allow this. I do
not know if it allows memory mapping of the video memory. Or if that
would even be enough. I am interested in CCIT (i.e., standard broadcast)
resolution, not any of the various HD formats.

I suspect the main offender is w32codecs. You should be able to modify the
package selection from the 1-click installer, to remove it.

What I see happening is many packages (from Packman) failing because of
a missing libiso9660.so.5 (libxine1-codecs complains) or libdc1394.so.22
(ffmpeg complains). I am now tracking these down.

Roger