Re: [opensuse] slow nfs over wifi
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 09:37:24 +0000

lynn wrote:
Is wifi designed to be able to mount nfs shares? My connection is superb over
Internet via my ISP but eg my xmas photos from my mobile took 10 minutes to
download 20 Mb or so via nfs. And during nfs stuff the dlink connection to my
router shows only 2 bars out of 5. As soon as nfs finishes it's back to 5/5.
Maybe you're not supposed to use nfs over wireless. Please no 'works for me'.
Just whether it can work properly or not. Only personal experiences please.
No
theory! 11.1 with a 64 bit nfs server and a laptop also on 11.1 connecting
using kinternetmanager out of the box which I do not want to change. Phew.
And
my son thought i'd never be able to ask it.

Luv L x

Hmm...

I think others maybe missing a point here (are we talking mobile phone,
PDA or laptop computer?)...

Are you are downloading photos from a mobile phone or PDA connected by
USB to a PC or to local WiFi?. Do not expect same level of performance.
Most mobile devices are somewhat slower at data functions than PCs. Also
most mobile devices use lower WiFi connection speeds (and depending on
the router involved this can impact on other usage).

IIRC the connection goes through a QoS negotiation algorithm that
establishes the speed at which data can most reliably transferred
between device and AP (this different from ethernet packet collision
control and operates at the physical layer). This is dynamic and can
change during a connection. With different mixes of hardware and
connection conditions expect different results.

The ISP bit has me slightly confused, is your mobile phone supplier your
ISP?

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup