Re: [opensuse] slow nfs over wifi
  • From: "Andrew Joakimsen" <joakimsen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 00:09:02 -0500
On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 06:15, lynn <lynn@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is wifi designed to be able to mount nfs shares? My connection is superb over
Internet via my ISP but eg my xmas photos from my mobile took 10 minutes to
download 20 Mb or so via nfs. And during nfs stuff the dlink connection to my
router shows only 2 bars out of 5. As soon as nfs finishes it's back to 5/5.
Maybe you're not supposed to use nfs over wireless. Please no 'works for me'.
Just whether it can work properly or not. Only personal experiences please. No
theory! 11.1 with a 64 bit nfs server and a laptop also on 11.1 connecting
using kinternetmanager out of the box which I do not want to change. Phew. And
my son thought i'd never be able to ask it.

You are right, it does seem a bit slow, however mainly I use WiFi for
internet access, so I never bothered to do any benchmark:

user@linux-kcso:/multim/Videos> time cp Rammstein\ -\ Du\ Riechst\ So\
Gut.mpeg /home/user/

real 0m30.656s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.544s

user@linux-kcso:/multim/Videos> du Rammstein\ -\ Du\ Riechst\ So\ Gut.mpeg -sh
44M Rammstein - Du Riechst So Gut.mpeg

That is 11.48 megabits/sec (44M / 30.65s = 1.43mB/sec * 8 = 11.48
mbps) ... I would say it seems "slow" but at the same time I would not
expect to see a full 54mbps transfer rate on the WiFi (and have no
other benchmarks to compare against... maybe you can do a benchmark
yourself and compare?

openSUSE 11.0 machine as the NFS server, connected via Ethernet to a
Linksys WRT54GS v4 router running the newest DD-WRT firmware. Client
is openSUSE 11.1 with an RAlink chipset wireless card. The router is
placed high up, the client has an external antenna and is approx 15
feet away with just one (cheap drywall) wall between it and the
router.Knetworkmanager shows 4/4 "bars." My WiFi router says the SNR
is 33.