Re: [opensuse] slow nfs over wifi
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 12:49:01 +0100 (CET)

On Sunday, 2009-01-04 at 12:15 +0100, lynn wrote:

Is wifi designed to be able to mount nfs shares? My connection is superb over
Internet via my ISP but eg my xmas photos from my mobile took 10 minutes to
download 20 Mb or so via nfs. And during nfs stuff the dlink connection to my
router shows only 2 bars out of 5. As soon as nfs finishes it's back to 5/5.
Maybe you're not supposed to use nfs over wireless. Please no 'works for me'.
Just whether it can work properly or not. Only personal experiences please. No
theory! 11.1 with a 64 bit nfs server and a laptop also on 11.1 connecting
using kinternetmanager out of the box which I do not want to change. Phew. And
my son thought i'd never be able to ask it.

You asked me too look, but I have no personal experience of nfs over wifi.

My guess is that it may not work well: if the link drops for an instant I don't think NFS can cope too gracefully. The best thing would be FTP... or perhaps not, because either you get bad files or it has to repeat and repeat... which is probably why NFS is slow. Just try with ftp (or http) and compare.

As to the connection quality graph, I suppose it shows normally "good", simply because it is not used. As soon as NFS uses it hard, it shows the real quality, which is "bad". That's my educated guess.

So, I think that your real problem is the connection quality.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.