Re: [opensuse] CF cards for system installation and hard drive suspend
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 10:01:50 +0100
HG wrote:

What should I know about installing the system partitions on a CF
card? Should I put swap there also? If not, why not? Will the CF card
wear down? Should I invest in faster CF cards? The system will
probably have 2Gb memory.

Why not invest in more memory and avoid swap altogether?

Also, does OpenSUSE 11.1 spin down the 1.5Tb data hard drives when
they are not in use? Or can it be easily configured to do so?

It's easily configured with hdparm. I've got a backup-system with 2x1Tb
in RAID1 which is only spun up for a maybe four hours every morning
between 2 and 6. Experiment a bit with your hardware - my array is
showing some instability when spinning up the drives, and I think I'll
have to return/replace one or both.

/Per

--
/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich