Re: [opensuse] OT: Is the problem the Motherboard or the RAM
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 20:53:04 -0500
On 2009/01/03 17:49 (GMT-0600) Rajko M. composed:

On Saturday 03 January 2009 14:45:55 Mike Coan wrote:

I basically left the BIOS defaults, except that I changed the DIMM voltage
from auto to 2.2V, which is what is specified for the RAM. I am not trying
to overclock or anything exotic.

Maybe you should trust Auto, as it will be set according to data stored on a
memory stick. Datasheet can be out of sync with the latest production.

It can be also problem that actual voltage on the chip is lower then BIOS
tells. Check what happens if you set voltage higher or lower then 2.2V.

The problem is very rarely high voltage. Try raising voltage in .05v
increments up to .3v in total, then if you don't succeed, report your problem
to both RAM vendor and Asrock. Note that Asrock is not a first rate
manufacturer. I'd first suspect their product as the fault in this case. It
could be a factor that the motherboard really doesn't like 4 sticks at once.

Possible reason can be that RAM and motherboard are incompatible for variety
of reasons, see OCZ memory configurator:
http://conf.ocztechnology.com/index.php?c=1&classid=108&mfrid=11595

One possible incompatibility is CAS timings. Does the manual or web site for
your motherboard provide a spec for timings? 1066 is really fast, making
compatibility a bigger issue than with older slower RAM.

If your other motherboard can support 1066 as 1066, you should consider
testing the new RAM with MEMTEST there.
--
"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he
is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/