Re: [opensuse] space wasted by root trashcan
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 17:00:12 -0600
On Saturday 03 January 2009 03:55:40 pm JosipBroz wrote:

Trashcan is half-baked anyway. Some weeks ago I managed to get
a few large videos deleted via su or root or I don't remember anymore, fact
is, they got moved to my USER trash, but with ROOT privileges.

The problem is not Trashcan, but "su" command.
If you just "su" in console and then run some GUI application, then you can do
that. After "su" your environment is still of user that ran "su", not the
root user. If you want to avoid similar problems then run "su -". That will
give you real root user environment.

After that,
I couldn't empty the can no matter what I tried. The option to empty it was
simply greyed-out, although there were several gigs of space used. Finally,
I needed the space so I just deleted them from the command line - but
that's DEFINITELY NOT the behavior expected from a trashcan. The trashcan
is for newbies -- and I can easily imagine a newbie in such a situation:
with hundreds of useless GB taking up disk space and no newbie-friendly way
to delete them. I bet your average newbie, seeing the option to empty the
can was greyed-out, would "rightly" conclude that the can was empty.

Well, average newbie will not open console to switch to root and then start
GUI application. There is no software on this plannet that can prevent users
from going new paths and discover new problems.

It is easy to patch "su" not to start without any parameters, but that will
stand in my way. You just had bad luck running command that you don't know
completely. If you would type "su -", "su root", "su someotheruser"
everything would work fine.

Don't blame trashcan, all credit belongs to you.

--
Regards, Rajko