Re: [opensuse] Fink for OpenSuSE?
  • From: j debert <jdebert@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 10:28:06 -0800

Cristian Rodríguez さんは書きました:
| j debert escribió:
|
|> Yes, I am quite painfully aware that SuSE is a binary distro. It's
|> rather evident given the slightly more than slight difficulty in
|> obtaining sources that is getting slightly more difficult with each
|> release.
|
| do you think it is difficult to zypper source-install <package> ?

Yes. It is certainly more difficult than using Fink. Since Fink will
install binaries or build from source where there is no binary and
deal with dependencies on it's own, and handle updates and upgrades
elegantly it is much easier to use.

| Im in fact, sure it doesnt, except for some very specific components,
| different compiler options and optimization levels have already being
| tried with only a marginal _overall_ improvement.

One clear benefit is actually having things work as they're expected
or supposed to. That's quite a noticeable benefit.

|> (Actually, I have had to rebuild quite a bit from source to replace
|> SuSE binaries. It's a PITA.)
|
| Why ?

Because SuSE builds were broken or had missing and lost dependencies.

so the short answer is that there is no Fink or Fink-alike for Linux?

==
jd

Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
~ -- Samuel Goldwyn

- --