[opensuse] Controlling zypper's Timed-out when it is updating -- REPOST (of a Repost on 25 Nov 07)
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 16:14:21 +1100
On the 25 November '08 I wrote (as a Reposted message):

When zypper is downloading upgrades in YaST2 (Online Update), a loss
of connection to the internet can occur, or some other hiccup, causing zypper
not to complete the download.

When this occurs zypper sits around for what seems like an eternity, doing
nothing, and then announces that an error has occurred; it then expects some
response from you and if you select Retry this gets (99.999% of the time)
zypper to complete the download.

This sitting around doing nothing "for hours" is a PITA - and there is
nothing that one can do except to wait until zypper decides to advise
you that an error has occurred.

The ABORT button does not work so one just sits and waits. (Of course, there is
always the drastic step of
CTRL-ALT-ESC to exit zypper.)

Somewhere there must be timer setting which controls how long zypper
keeps trying to resume its task. Does anyone know where this setting is
located so that the user can set the timeout period. Nothing I can see
in zypper help and nothing shows up in /etc/zypp.

Can anyone provide an answer, please?

(I have posted this question twice now and while I did get several responses
none provide the answer on where zypper's timeout timer is located and
therefore can be reset to a lower figure.)

Ciao.

--
"With the portion of mankind that is above average one may speak of higher
things; with those below it, one may not."