Re: [opensuse] Smolts project statistics
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 23:03:21 -0600
On Friday 02 January 2009 08:55:16 pm Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Friday, 2009-01-02 at 19:52 -0600, Rajko M. wrote:
What next?

Someone added on the wiki page about smolt http://en.opensuse.org/Smolt
how to use it.

I don't see any mention of the smolt cron job or the smolt service
(rcsmolt).

Me neither.

I don't know what I have to do to start it.

Once again:
smoltSendProfile

it is one time task.

Do you need profiler that can pickup all information at once to run as demon,
or cron job? No you don't. It is not computer usage profiler, it is hardware
data collector and reporting tool. The same as if you would run "hwinfo" and
post results on the web page. The only difference is that smolt picks much
lesser, and it is the same data in any distro.

Currently GUI works with limited functionality, you can send profile, but
you can't edit it. GUI is missing even ability to give you password that
you can use to login Smolt web page and edit profile there.

For now, as explained in article, run in console:
smoltSendProfile
and pick URL and password when they appear.

That part I understand, but I don't know what I have to do before that.
That's assuming I already have a profile, it explains how to get the
password for the profile I should already have - and I haven't a profile.

That wiki needs a dumbs guide. I'm dumb now. >:-)

It doesn't explain how to run it the first time, nor how or what to
configure. What about the cron job? What about the service? What are they
for?

,---.
,.'-. \
( ( ,'"""""-.
`,X `.
/` ` `._
( , ,_\
| ,---.,'o `.
| / o \ )
\ ,. ( .____,
\| \ \____,' \
'`'\ \ _,____,'
\ ,-- ,-' \
( C ,' \
`--' .' |
| | .O |
__| \ ,-'_
/ `L `._ _,' ' `.
/ `--.._ `',. _\ `
`-. /\ | `. ( ,\ \
_/ `-._ / \ |--' ( \
' `-. `' \/\`. `. )
\ -hrr- \ `. | |

(http://www.chris.com/ascii/)

Another question I don't understand: how is that project going to know
that the several linux installs I have are on the same machine?

Yes it will be counted if you send profile.

They
will think I have three or four identical machines, and foul the
statistics.

If you install openSUSE 11.1 five times and each time you send profile,
statistics will be skewed, but if you have openSUSE 10.3, 11.0, 11.1, Fedora
9, 10 and Ubuntu 8.0.4 it will be valid data. It will tell how hardware works
under each of them.

What happens to the people that install fresh every time? Will
they be counted again and again?

See above.

--
Regards, Rajko