Re: [opensuse] mounting per user samba shares automatically
  • From: Lars Müller <lmuelle@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 14:09:27 +0100
On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 07:40:18PM -0500, Chris Gow wrote:

I'm trying to get some samba shares to be mounted when I log in to my
laptop (eg. $HOME/Documents, $HOME/Music, etc). I'd like this to
happen automatically and not require me to enter any user name or
password (my username and password are the same on the laptop as the
samba server). The laptop has wireless which is currently managed with
NetworkManager. I've tried pam_mount, but that does not seem to work
to well since the connection to the wireless network is not started
until well after I've logged in (if I start a new session, the shares
get mounted). automount is another option, but it seems that I need to
store the username and password in plaintext and it means its
something more I need to manage (I'd rather the whole
username/password come from the authentication process). I'm also not
the only user on this computer, though I do use it the most so any
solution needs to be applicable to all users.

Is there a way I can do what I want to do? Is there something I'm
missing in either pam_mount or automount or is there something else?

You might give fuse - fusesmb in your case - a try.

Please report back to the list if it works and doesn't require to
authenticate again and again. In theory this should be kerberized.

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team