Re: [opensuse] Checksums, openSuSE downloads, md5sum (SOLVED)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 11:59:28 +0100 (CET)

On Friday, 2009-01-02 at 16:05 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

Following comment is not directed at aria2c nor at k3's ability to burn
a DVD and then verify it as being "successful". Burning DVDs under k3
works fine.

Using k3 you will find - I do, and have been doing so for some months -
that if you burn a *CD* and have the verify function set then every time
the verification process will show that there is an error in the copy
compared to the original -- however, there is NO error, but k3 always
reports that there is an error.

Yes, I think I have seen this behaviour.

(BTW, just on this point of the verification process reporting an error
in the copy: what a total waste of time that k3 has to ALWAYS check
though the *whole* CD or DVD (upt o 8GB big) to report an error even
though the error may have occurred at some point at the beginning of the
CD or DVD. Why not report and stop further checking when the error is
first detected?)

Because they don't do a byte by byte compare, but a calculation of a checksum. The checksum algorithm requires read the entire data stream. The byte compare needs reading two streams simultaneously, an average of half way: thus the same total data flow, at a slower pace, probably.

They could have both algorithms and let the user choose.

I usually burn by command line, my own script, and byte compare the result. I can use k3b to generate the iso image.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.