Re: [opensuse] Re: wifi
  • From: "John E. Perry" <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 19:27:17 -0500

ATI has been providing drivers for their cards for quite some time (not very
good ones, but their drivers were never very good for any OS), and for some
time now they have published their hardware specifications as well (see the
radeonhd project). It takes a long time to write good drivers for 3d, it's
not
just "calling functions on the card" the way it would be for a network card,
for instance, but no guesswork is involved

Ah. So I'm behind the times again. I've been watching hardware issues
on opensuse and other lists, and, while I knew that the AMD buyout was
hoped by the community to result in better linux support, I hadn't heard
that anything was actually happening.

So ATI would be in the nvidia category now, even if not very skillfully?
Do you know of any specific (current) hardware that is hidden from us?

jp