Re: [opensuse] Is avahi needed? [Was: Zypper curl errors in 11.0]
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajohansson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 00:47:55 +0100
On Friday 02 January 2009 00:34:27 Carlos E. R. wrote:
I only know that I don't know what it does, what it changes or provides
and for what programs, the effect it has...

So I ask.

As I said, it helps you set up a network without configuration. If you
configure things yourself, or if you already have dhcp and dns from some other
source, you don't need it. The same goes if you have special non-trivial needs
for your lan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDNS

has a reasonably good explanation

Anders