[opensuse] Is avahi needed? [Was: Zypper curl errors in 11.0]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 20:49:49 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2009-01-01 at 12:27 -0700, Teruel de Campo MD wrote:

4. "It seems something wrong with IPv6 in Avahi" it looks like you are
in the correct track. I have been reading about Avahi but until you
mentioned it I have no clue ;-)

What is avahi? Do we need it?

The man page says:

The Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD daemon implements Apple's Zeroconf
architecture (also known as "Rendezvous" or "Bonjour"). The daemon
registers local IP addresses and static services using mDNS/DNS-SD
and provides two IPC APIs for local programs to make use of the
mDNS record cache the avahi- daemon maintains. First there is the
so called "simple protocol" which is used exclusively by
avahi-dnsconfd (a daemon which configures uni‐ cast DNS servers
using server info published via mDNS) and nss-mdns (a libc NSS
plugin, providing name resolution via mDNS). Finally there is the
D-Bus interface which provides a rich object oriented interface to
D-Bus enabled applications.

"Apple's Zeroconf". If I don't have any "apple" in my network, can I dissable this service?

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.