Re: [opensuse] CUPS printers in windows?
  • From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 21:02:34 -0800 (PST)
----- Original Message ----

From: Andrew Joakimsen <joakimsen@xxxxxxxxx>
How can I get a windoze machine to recognize a CUPS printer? I think I've
achieved it before using Samba, but is there a simpler way? (The necessary
driver is already in the windoze box).

I am not sure what "windoze" is, but if you are talking about the
popular Microsoft Operating system called "Windows," then yes what you
describe is possible. You can use IPP, Windows XP supports it so I
suppose Vista does as well.

The URL you will use is http://hostname:631/printers/PrinterName

Replace "hostname" with the name or numerical host identifier, and
"PrinterName" with the name of the CUPS printer queue. You might need
to change some CUPS settings (namely permissions) to get this working.

If you want to use Samba, it is rather easy IMO. Just install Samba
and setup the hostname and workgroup name... the CUPS printers are
automatically shared... and you still have to mess with permissions.

Many thanks!

Cheers,
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a
man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz