Re: [opensuse] Ddoes anyone know why the updater in the panel insists on installing stuff I don't use>
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:43:49 -0700

No. I'd rather not have to install support for hardware I can't use
on a particular machine. Since I'm not a programming, I have no idea
how those libraries work.

Why don't you just ignore the stuff? Is it really getting in the way of
anything you want or need to do?

I just don't understand why someone would
program in a hardware dependency in a program in order to add a
possible functionality to that program.

Dependency management in large software programs or systems is one of
the most onerous aspects and it's vert often easier _not_ to produce
minimal configurations in every or even most cases.

I never said to get rid of the packages. I would just like to see
more devs consider what people will actually use before forcing a
dependency.

What is the down-side of a spurious dependency? A little disk space
occupied. The ratio of OS and application data to other data on systems
is going down all the time, making the overhead of loose dependency
management less significant all the time.

What's the old saying - 80% of users only use 20% of the
features. That's where a lot of the code bloat comes from.

"Code bloat" is a bugbear for people who don't have to minimize it. What
are they called? Oh, yeah: Pundits.

Just ignore the stuff. It's not harming you.

That's
why I had to have 2GB for SuSE in 1999 where 98 could make do wuth
250-500MB.

And what percentage of your hard drive was it before compared to now?
You're complaining about a non-issue.

This is a classic of computer critic nonsense. Computers do more now
over an ever widening hardware base. The kind of minimalism you seem to
want is just not economically justifiable.

Not everyone has the newest and faster hardware.

But many do. Optimizing separate configurations for old and new alike is
a lot of work for no change in functionality. It's not worth it.

Randall Schulz