Re: [opensuse] Quick perl question - why are @array[$num] and $array[$num] the same?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 10:57:22 -0500

I gave up on perl.
It makes my brain hurt -- like trying to read 1970's era BASIC code.

I concur. Perl verges on being an abomination. "Pathetically eclectic rubbish lister" indeed!

I once (in the Perl 4 era) wrote a code generation tool in Perl, but I no longer can even read that stuff.

If you're going to start programming things that go beyond what works well in BASH, you'd be better off with Python or Ruby or even Groovy.

Randall Schulz

That's real, real bad news Randall, I'm already 60% through perl.

It's worth taking a look at, if only for familiarization.
But don't try to do a "monster" program with it.
10000 lines of shell-script is more maintainable than
100 lines of perl.

Well,

My purpose for looking at perl was I wanted a more robust bash. I wanted something that had better file handling, data structures, loop and conditional expression support, regexp support, floating point, etc.. Just something that would allow me to do in 20-30 lines of code all (or at least 99%) the administrative stuff I need to do, but where I have run into limitations in bash.

If I was ever going to do a big project, it would be in c/c++, (heaven forbid Fortran) something I already know. I thought perl would be a step up in scripting language from bash. Is that the wrong move? Would something else give me all perl's functionality in a better script language? I was really looking forward to the CPAN resource.

You guys let me know what you think. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC