Re: [opensuse] [OT] unstable system - still trying to identify the culprit.
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 07:15:14 -0800

It's a quad-core machine, so it should be possible to run four copies
of mprime concurrently without it falling over.

Correction: It should be possible to run as many copies as available RAM
+ swap can accommodate!

Latest update - it was suggested I install 10.3, then upgrade to the
latest kernel. Which has very surprisingly had the effect that I can
now run one copy of mprime a lot longer than before. I had one copy
running almost eight hours last night.

We're entering the era of concurrency bugs because of the widespread
availability of multi-core processors. But most people thought it was
going to be application code that exhibited those bugs and that the
very high standards of kernel programming would ensure that deadlocks
or other concurrency errors would be rare and quickly fixed in
operating system kernels and nuclei.

I asked AMD for a CPU diagnostic tool, but they can only supply
something for Windows.

Dastards!

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

Randall Schulz